AVCHD M2TS MTS to iPad: How to Convert an AVCHD Video File to Play on Your iPad
Susan writes to us: “I have used my Sony NEX-5N camcorder for one year.i am finally taking around and playing the recorded videos on iPad.But i found the videos are all with AVCHD format. Any way to get a AVCHD videos in a format that can be transferred to the iPad and edited with iMovie? “
AVCHD (Advanced Video Coding High Definition) – is a format for the recording and playback of high definition video, created specifically for high-definition (HD) digital camcorders like Sony, Panasonic, Canon, JVC and Sanyo video camcorders. Generally files with extensions M2TS (after import to computer), MTS(on camcorder).AVCHD is widely used HD video format. However, it cannot be accepted by Apple products, such as iPad and iPhone, so one cannot play AVCHD video by iPad iPhone directly. As iPad only accepts video files in MOV, MP4, M4V and PCM stereo audio in AVI file format.
The iPad edition of iMovie is a slick, easy-to-use, inexpensive video editing tool. But it’s designed only to edit video shot with the iPad 2, new iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. If you have video shot with another device, like a camcorder, you need to do a little work to get it working with iMovie on the iPad.
You need first to convert the footage into the right format, and then sync to iPad with iTunes. The video will be played back on the iPad and introduced gently to iMovie in just the right way.
4 Simple Steps to Convert Your AVCHD(M2TS MTS) Video File to Play On Your iPad
For this “how to” we used the Aiseesoft iPad Video Converter, the best choice for you to convert any .m2ts or .mts video file into an iPad-friendly .mp4 video file on Windows PC.If you’re using Mac, please refer “How to convert AVCHD to iPad on Mac OS”
Step 1: Install the AVCHD (M2TS MTS) to iPad Video Conversion Program
- Download the Aiseesoft AVCHD to iPad Video Converter
- Install it to your system
- Mac Users : check out our list of Mac-friendly iPad Converters
Step 2 : Run the AVCHD to iPad Video Conversion Program
- Run the program via the desktop icon or the Windows “Start Menu”
- Add AVCHD(M2TS MTS) File : You’ll find a simple-to-use interface where you can browse for your M2TS MTS video file by clicking “Add File” button. The Aiseesoft MTS to iPad Converter supports batch conversion, you can add multiple AVI files to the list.
- Output To : Choose your iPad output in the “Profile” pull-down menu. For example: if you have a wifi iPad, select the “iPad MPEG-4 Video (*.mp4)” setting. This will give you a great-looking video and take the least amount of conversion time.
- Output Settings : To see/adjust the actual video conversion settings, click on the “Setting” button to open a separate page with all your video settings options: video and audio codec, resolution, format selection and bitrate adjustment. Please note the higher the bitrate is, the clearer the video is, and the larger the output file is. When you’re done, click “OK” to continue.
- Edit M2TS MTS Video (Optional) : This MTS to iPad video converter also provides you with simple editing functions. It allows you to trim video, crop play area, adjust video effects like brightness, saturation, contrast. Click the “Effect” button and you can fine-tune the video through dragging the slide bar.
- Start Conversion : Hit “Convert” and go get a snack. The conversion time will depend on several variables including: the duration of the video file, the speed of your computer, the codec you selected and the bitrate you set.
Step 3 : Transfer the Converted Video to Your iPad or iPad 2 using iTunes
- Attach your iPad or iPad 2 to your computer
- Minimize the AVCHD to iPad converter and open your iTunes
- Choose where you want your new movie to go – on your iPad or iPad 2
- And iTunes will sync and put your new movie on your iPad
Step 4 : Play the Converted Video On Your iPad or iPad 2
- Show it to your friends and enjoy!
- “Rinse & Repeat” to convert and transfer more videos to your iPad