Guide to Jailbreak and Unjailbreak iPad
This tutorial is mainly about iPad jailbreak and unjailbreak. All the steps are easy to understand, even you are computer newbie can handle with it. We test 5 iPads, and all the jailbroken iPad are safe without any problem. Before you read this guide, please remember, iPad Jailbreak will lost warranty, but restoring your iPad to the original factory settings should get things back to normal. And if you want to play DVD movies on jailbroken and unjailbroken iPad, here is a step by step guide regarding how to play DVD movies to iPad.
Part I: How to unjailbreak iPad
As we known, Apple’s iOS 4.2 is available for iPad, iPhone & iPod touch, maybe you want to try out iOS 4.2 now. Well, it is a simple process to undo a jailbreak on an iPad. Here are the exact steps to unjailbreak iPad and then restore your iPads data:
- Connect the jailbroken iPad to your computer and open iTunes
- In the left iTunes column, select your iPad
- Under the Summary tab, you’ll see a ‘Restore’ button – click this to start the unjailbreak process
- A message will pop up asking if you’d like to backup your iPad, click yes and let the backup and restore process go
- Your iPad will automatically restart itself when it is finished restoring, you will then be asked if you want to restore from backup – click Yes if you want to restore all your non-jailbreak related apps and iPad customization to the iPad
- When the backup and restore is complete, your jailbreak has been reversed and your iPad will be in a “nonjailbroken” state.
Note that if you have created custom IPSW firmware packages with something like PwnageTool, you will need to select a fresh IPSW file to restore to instead of the customized IPSW that was created by Pwnage.
Part II: How to jailbreak iPad on iOS 4.2
Since Apple has released the final build of iOS 4.2, more specifically, iOS 4.2.1, the jailbreaks are ready to go, here are the steps to jailbreak iPad 4.2 With RedSn0w on iOS 4.2.
- Run Redsn0w, and direct it to your current ipsw. The files can be found at the following locations. We suggest creating a new folder with a convenient name like “Jailbreaks” with a copy of the ipsw.
- Check off Install Cydia as shown below:
- Make sure your iPad is OFF and PLUGGED IN to the computer before you hit next.
- After hitting next, the guide will walk you through putting your device in DFU mode. Follow the onscreen instructions exactly.
- Sit back and wait for now.
- You will get the following message
Note that this is a tethered jailbreak. You will have to plug in your iPad every time you boot it to run your jailbreak Apps and RedSn0w.