How to Gift iPad and iPad Mini Apps with iTunes
With the holiday season coming up, apps make the perfect gift for many occasions: They’re cheap, useful and don’t require wrapping and don’t even require you to leave your own home. And since more than half of the adults in America own iPad tablets, most people can use an app. But as of iOS 6 you don’t have the option to send gifts via iOS, the option is still there in iTunes. Not sure how? Follow along.
Steps to gift iPad or iPad mini apps with iTunes
- First, launch iTunes on your Windows-based PC or Mac. If you have never used iTunes on your PC, you will need to download iTunes and sign in with your Apple ID. (This is the same ID you use for your iPad.)
- Click on “iTunes Store” in the upper right corner of iTunes.
- Now that you are in the iTunes Store, choose “App Store” from the choices at the top. This will take you to the online version of the App Store.
- The App Store in iTunes is similar to the the App Store on your iPad. Simply navigate to the app or use the search bar at the upper right corner of the screen.
- After you have clicked on the app and entered the detail screen, locate the price on the left side of the detail page. The price is listed just below the icon. Click on the down arrow next to the price to reveal a list of options that includes ‘Gift This App’. Click on ‘Gift This App’ to start the gifting process.
- On the Give a Gift screen, fill out the gift form with the recipient’s name and email address. You can also personalize it with a message. Click continue when ready. Don’t worry, you won’t be billed just yet.
- The next page verifies your gift, including the total amount you will be billed and the name and address of the recipient. After verifying all of this information, click the ‘Buy Gift’ button to complete the transaction.