How to Load DVD Movies onto iPad or iPad 2?
Learn how to load DVD movies onto an iPad or iPad 2. This tutorial will help you download the right helper programs and convert DVD movies for loading on Apple’s most popular iPad portable video players.
Make DVD movie format iPad friendly
One of the best attributes of an iPad is its ability to play back videos on an extremely high quality screen. I love watching video podcasts and other video from the iTunes Store when I’m on the go.
Sometimes, though, I have some DVD movies and I want to watch it on my new iPad 2 too. Well never fear, here are the instructions for taking almost any video format, converting it, and loading it on your iPad (iPad 2, or iPhone, iPod touch, it works for them).
Convert the DVD movie
1. First, start off by locating your DVD. This is the DVD that you intend to load onto your iPad or iPad 2.
2. The DVD isn’t one of the iPad supported file formats, you need a conversion program. There are tons of little freeware apps out there (along with many for-pay programs), but my personal favorite is “DVD to iPad Converter“, which is put out by Aiseesoft. The program covers very simple conversion you will need on your computer. I highly recommend it!
3. Once you have downloaded the conversion program, install it as you usually would and open it up. On the program’s main menu, navigate to your target file with the button “Load DVD” and then indicate where you would like the converted file. (this process will create a second file and keep the first one intact). You can also specify the new file’s name. The program defaults to appending “iPad” profile to the output format.
4. You can also select the quality of the video. The higher quality will look better but the conversion will take much longer. It’s more of a personal preference. If the video is already poor quality, you might have to use a higher conversion setting to retain any detail.
5. You have the option to trim and crop the video with the buttons at the top, but for your first time, just go ahead and hit the “Start” button.
6. It will begin the (probably) rather lengthy process of converting the file. Once it is finished it will alert you with a dialog box.
Whew! Now you have a video that started out as one file type and now is a *.mp4. Quicktime and other players can play this file, but to load the movie onto your iPad you’ll nex need to do these quick steps.
Load the movie to your iPad or iPad 2
1. Open iTunes and connect your iPad 2.
2. Click on the “Movies” category in the left sidebar. This category seems to work best for this particular process.
3. Drag your new *.mp4 file over the open area for Movies and drop it there. This will load the file into your iTunes library (or simply use it where it is, depending on your settings).
4. At this point (if iTunes is copying new files into a special directory, per your settings) you can actually delete your new file, but I would wait until you’ve gotten good at this process.
5. Next go to your device’s page in iTunes and select the “Video” tab. Make sure your newly added movie is selected for syncing.
6. Sync your iPad or iPad 2.
7. Once the transfer is complete you should be able to find your new video on the video menu under “Movies.” Click on it and ENJOY!
Whether you’re going on a long trip or just want to finish the tail end of a movie while on the train, this process is an excellent way to load movies and shows over to your iPad or new iPad 2.