The Ways to Fix Slow YouTube on iPad
A friend of mine who received an iPad from his employer wanted to show me a YouTube video on a lunch break one day and I noticed that the pages on Youtube were loading rather slowly. I first thought that it was a connection issue but apparently Youtube was slow to load even if the fastest most reliable Wi-Fi connection was active.
Apple’s official discussion board is filled with user reports that mention issues they experience on Youtube. Here is a short selection:
- YouTube stops and takes a long time to load videos.
- HD videos will play for a few seconds then go really slow.
- Same problem here. Only with high res youtube videos
- I just noticed this problem as well. I tried watching a youtube video on my iPad and noticed it was buffering slowly on my wifi. I immediately switched to my macbook (which was right next to me) and streamed the same video super fast.
- I have the same problem with my iPad and iPhone inside my wifi network
- I’m having the same problem with my iPad (wifi, 16gb). Sometimes if I repeatedly tap the Play/Pause button it loads the video completely in a second or so and ends up playing just fine. However, that method doesn’t always work so it could just be a fluke.
Fixing slow YouTube videos on iPad with DNS server change
The first thing that users need to do is to make sure that their Internet connection is reliable and fast enough to play Youtube videos without stops and buffering. Probably the best solution, and used by many users of the Apple support forum, is to connect a second device to the Internet to see if it also experiences slow downs.
Did you know that there are two ways that you can watch Youtube videos on your iPad? You can watch them in the Youtube app or the Safari browser. Most users report problems with the Youtube app on the iPad. It may work to simply use the Safari browser to view the videos.
Try changing the DNS server of your iPad temporarily to see if it resolves the issues on Youtube. You can use free services like Open DNS or Google DNS for this.
- Access Settings on your device.
- Locate Wi-Fi on the left side and tap on it.
- Tap on the blue arrow next to the current wireless network
- Tap on the DNS field there and enter the DNS servers 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 for Open DNS or 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 for Google Public DNS.
Now try to play videos on Youtube again to see if changing the DNS server resolved the buffering issues.
Fixing slow YouTube videos on iPad with 3rd-party YouTube to iPad Converters
There are some YouTube to iPad converters in the market, these 3rd-party tools like Xilisoft YouTube to iPad Converter provides one-step way to download FLV videos from YouTube and convert YouTube video to iPad MP4 with fast speed. Furthermore, it can also download YouTube video and save FLV files to your PC, convert FLV to iPad. Xilisoft YouTube to iPad Converter requires Windows XP SP2 or later, and sells for $25.95.