We all love watching videos but give little or less attention to what format it bears until we face an unpleasant situation where our device fails to play them; the same goes with iPads as well.
One of the prime reasons for your iPad failing to process and play the desired video is its format. Not every format is compatible with the iPad’s video playback system.
When we talk about format compatibility, iPads generally support playing the videos in H-264, M4V, MP4, and some other formats. If you want to learn more about the video formats that are compatible across varied iPad devices, head over to The Complete Guide to iPad Video Formats. But what if your video bears a different format? This is when having access to a video converter becomes crucial. Video converters help convert videos into other formats, thus making them playable on iPads as well. So, suppose you are looking to watch videos on your iPad, irrespective of its parent format. In that case, it is significant to have access to an effective video converter.
Talking about the list of video converters, the available ones are many, but only a few serve the purpose of converting videos in the formats compatible with iPads. To ease things up, I have compiled the list of the best converters available that can help you convert and watch videos on iPad efficiently.
Top Video Converter Programs for iPad
1. Waltr 2: A Magic Drop Area for iPad/iPhone
If you seek an effortless solution for getting your videos converted, transferred, and ready to be played on your iPad, the Waltr 2 is just the right tool for you. With Waltr 2, you neither need iTunes nor any other application for transferring media files within different Apple devices.
When we talk about conversions, this tool looks after this section efficiently as well. You don’t need to worry about unsupported formats anymore as Waltr 2 converts every file into the required format for any desired device easily without any hassle. From MKV, AVI, and MP4 to FLV, MTS and WMV, this tool supports over 40 video formats comprising the ones compatible with iPads as well.
How to Use Waltr 2 for Converting Videos to iPad
- The first thing you need to do is install the application on your computer and then launch it.
- After that, you need to connect your iPad and, for that, have your wireless connections turned on. Waltr 2 then shall automatically detect and connect with the desired device.
- The next thing you need to do is drag the video file into the software. Once done, the software will automatically process the required conversions and transfer the video to your iPad.
Benefits of using Waltr 2: The Pros (For Video Conversion)
- It comes with an intelligent adaptive conversion feature that allows efficient conversion for desired devices
- This tool is super simple to use. All you need to do is drag and drop
- It carries out video conversion faster than other competitor tools.
- It supports a wide range of video and audio formats.
- Having iTunes to carry out the transfer is not a requirement.
- It fails in feeding meta information to the transferred files.
- With Waltr 2, you are not allowed to access files and delete them.
Waltr 2 is available for both Mac and Windows operating systems. To enjoy all the pro features of Waltr 2, all you need to pay is $39.95
2. Wondershare UniConverter: An All-in-One Converter for Any Video Files
Are you looking for an all-in-one solution that can help you with converting videos, editing them, and even getting them compressed? Well, then UniConverter from Wondershare does more than that. Supporting over 1000 audio-video formats, this tool can help video conversion across multiple devices compatibly. With that being said, you can convert videos for your iPad easily with Wondershare’s Uni Converter.
Besides compatible conversions, UniConverter is also home to various other essential features that include downloading 4K videos online, editing videos, adding and editing subtitles, compressing videos, record videos, burn DVDs, and more. Having access to Wondershare’s Uni Converter is like having access to a comprehensive utility tool.
How to Convert Videos for iPad Using UniConverter:
- Launch the application and from the main interface, select the desired video, clicking on the “Add Files” button
- Next, you need to click the “output” button on the bottom left and choose a format that is compatible with iPads
- Once done, click on “Convert” and let the tool process the entire conversion.
As soon as UniConverter concludes conversion, you can use the transfer feature to get the video on your iPad or use other methods to get the transfer done.
Benefits of Wondershare UniConverter: The Pros (For Video Conversions)
- It supports conversion over multiple formats
- This tool helps in faster conversions
- This tool offers high-quality video outputs
- With this tool, you can easily transfer converted videos into other devices.
- It might be a bit advanced solution for the users that are just starting out.
Wondershare UniConverter is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems. It comes with an annual plan that costs $39.95 for one device with a validity of one year. For a lifetime plan, you will need to pay $59.95 per user.
Wondershare UniConverter also has a business plan that provides lifetime access to 2 to 5 computers at $161.91.
3. HandBrake Video Converter: A Free Open-Source Video Transcoder
Having talked about various paid tools so far, let us walk through a free option to convert videos. HandBrake is a cross-platform video converter that enables you to convert videos for watching on iPad. The application that was initially launched for Mac users made its way for the Windows and Linux platforms as well.
With this tool, you can carry out video conversions seamlessly. Whether it be MP4 or MKV, this tool allows you to convert varied video formats into iPad-compatible ones.
How to Convert Videos on HandBrake
- Launch the application and add the desired video file either from the file section or simply by drag and drop.
- From the format section, select MP4. You can then hover over to the “Dimensions” section and alter the resolutions if you want to.
- The next thing you need to do is click the button that says video and select the desired video codec. For iPads, H-264 is generally recommended.
- After you are satisfied with all the settings you can click on the “Add to Queue” button and then hit “Start Queue.”
Once the conversion is done, you can choose from varied methods to get the file transferred to your iPad.
Benefits of HandBrake Video Converter: The Pros
- It helps in quick video conversion
- This tool is flexible to use
- It allows free conversion
- The working interface of this tool is not that user-friendly.
- Users may encounter video conversion errors at certain point in time as this tool fails to process conversion sometimes.
The HandBrake Video Converter is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. It is a free-to-use tool with no premium version available to date.
Some Other Handy Options
Movavi Video Converter
Talking about some other options, we have the video converter from Movavi lined up next. Loaded with advanced features, this tool helps convert videos into iPad-compatible formats with ease. The Movavi Video Converter supports 180+ output specifications and file formats up to 17 of them. It also comes with 200+ preset options that help in quick and efficient video conversions. However, it is important to note that this tool doesn’t allow direct transfer to iPad, rather needs iTunes to carry out the transfer.
Besides serving the purpose of a video converter, this tool also comes with an excellent editing tool that lets you perform advanced editing to a certain level.
Benefits of Movavi Video Converter: The Pros
- It comes with an excellent user interface
- It has a great in-built video editor
- It supports multiple video formats.
- This tool doesn’t work independently on iPad, you will need iTunes instead.
- It might not be a suitable option for absolute beginners
Buying Movavi Video Converter for a year will cost you $39.95, while for a lifetime subscription, you need to pay $49.95. It also comes with a video suite pack featuring a bundle of addons. It costs around $79.95
MacX Video Converter Pro
The video converter MacX Pro comes with a straightforward and interactive interface that lets users convert videos with ease. With MacX Video Converter pro, you can convert any HD or SD videos to the iPad compatible formats that include H-264, M-PEG 4, and MOV. Talking about video transfers, this tool, just like Movavi doesn’t allow direct transfer and requires iTunes for the same.
Talking about utility, this tool brings in other handy options. From downloading YouTube videos to using this tool to carry out screen recordings, MacX Video Converter Pro is home to various valued features.
Benefits of MacX Video Converter: The Pros
- It has a simple and user-friendly interface
- This tool helps in faster video conversion
- MacX Video Converter supports multiple output format and devices
- With MacX Video Converter, you have complete control over the size of the converted video
- The online video download feature fails to work for specific videos.
- It limits the user in its editing features.
MacX Video Converter costs $29.95 for 1 Mac device with a validity of one year, while for the lifetime license, you need to pay $39.95.
This tool also offers a Family video pack that lets you use it across 2 to 5 devices with lifetime validity for $69.95.
Note: This tool also offers a free trial for its users but with limited options. It is available for both Windows and Mac operating systems.
Miro Video Converter
Miro Video Converter is a simple and free-to-use software that can help you convert videos for playing on your iPad or any other device efficiently. Supporting multiple formats, Miro Video Converter allows you to convert videos into the format compatible with your iPad using a straight-forward drag and drop mechanism.
Benefits of using Miro Video Converter: The Pros
- The tool is super simple to use—an absolute fit for beginners.
- Miro Video Converter carries out conversions pretty quickly
- It is available for free.
- It supports conversion of only one file at a time
- This tool is not a suitable option for power users
The video converter from Miro is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac users. Miro video converter is an open-source utility software, and you don’t need to pay anything for using it.
Online Converter: iPad Video Convert
Taking the convenience of converting videos and making them playable for iPads to the next level, we have an online web-based converter tool. With this online converter, you neither need to have any application installed nor worry about completing different steps for getting your conversion done. All you need is to visit iPad Video Convert and choose the video you wish to convert. After that, select the desired preset and allow the tool to start converting the video for you.
Benefits of using iPad Video Convert: The Pros
- It is a simple yet powerful tool to use to carry out conversions for iPad
- Online Converter makes the overall process convenient as you don’t need to install any third-party applications
- An active internet connection is essential to carry out video conversions.
- As compared to the other options, converting videos online is a bit on the slower side.
- Being just a web-based solution, the features are pretty limited
This online video converter for iPad is free to use. You can just visit the official website and start converting videos right away.
iConv: Video and PDF converter
If you seek a solution to convert videos into iPad-compatible formats directly from your iPhone and iPad, then you have this tool called iConv.
Supporting multiple audio and video formats that include MMV, MPEG, MKV, AVI, MPEG 3, MOV, FLV, WAV, etc., this tool can be used to convert a batch of videos and audios to iPhone, iPad, and even iTunes.
Benefits of using iConv: The Pros
- With iConv you can convert videos directly from your iPhone and iPad
- It supports a good number of audio-video formats for conversion.
- Interacting with this application might not be a user-friendly one as this tool is loaded with advertisements.
- Sometimes the applications fail to work while exporting and saving the converted video.
iConv is a free-to-use tool.
Do You Need to Go Beyond Converting?
Converting might not be the ultimate step before you can start enjoying videos on your iPad. Although some of the applications mentioned above support the direct transfer feature, you will need to figure out ways of having the converted videos transferred to your iPad if you choose to go with other options.
However, there is an alternative route for playing videos or DVD on the iPad more conveniently. It may come to you as a surprise, but there are video players available that can help you play unsupported video files seamlessly on your iPad. Want to rip DVD to iPad as well? Visit the best DVD ripping tools for iPad and access the best options available for taking the experience of watching movies on iPad to a whole new level.
Visit how to download YouTube to iPad & iPhone for offline viewing and learn the best ways of downloading YouTube videos for offline viewing on your iPad.
If you seek a solution to edit photos like a professional on your iPad, we have a detailed list of the best photo editing apps. Make sure you don’t miss out on that.