The iPad or iPad mini or the new iPad Pro can perform many wonderful feats. One of our favorites — its ability to download/stream videos – of movies, of TV shows, of other video content – on the iPad high-res screen.
In this article, we have researched and sorted by category, here is a comprehensive list of best free entertainment ways to get and watch free movies on iPad, iPad Mini, iPad Pro or even iPhone.
Watch free movies on iPad with iOS Apps
The iPad has a lot of movie apps that will put hundreds of free streaming movies at your fingertips.
Not only do these free movie apps allow you to watch movies, but many also allow you to watch free streaming TV shows right from your phone or tablet. This is a great way to catch up on your favorite shows when you’re on the go.
Install them onto your tablet or smartphone and you’ll be ready to watch the free movie of your choice in only a few minutes time.
- Crackle is a relative newcomer to the field of streaming video on the iPad, but it shoots to the top of the list for one very simple reason: it’s free. Not only is it a free download, but it also doesn’t take a subscription fee to watch premier movies and television. Owned by Sony Pictures, Crackle has a lot of great content, including some great programming produced solely for Crackle.
- Popcornflix is the app designed for both, iPad and iPhone, which means you can watch free movies on iPhone as well. All popular genres are there: family, comedy, romance, action, thriller and horror. You can browse the movies with ease by genre, title and actors. There is no limit, and you can watch as many movies as you wish, using 3G or Wi-Fi. You can also share the movies with your friends and family members on Twitter and Facebook.
- OVGuide: Same as for Popcornflix, this app also has hundreds of movies with your movie stars. You can browse genres, including sports, drama, horror, action, romance and comedy. There is no limit, and you can watch as many movies as you want. Moreover, you can check out the movie trailers, and get the updates about what’s new in the world of film because new and most popular trailers are shared every day. There are also behind the scenes footages, and interviews with actors.
- Google Play Movies & TV: may seem like an odd choice for a roundup of movie streaming apps for the iPad, but for those who have moved over from Android and who have already built up a Google Play library, this is a must-have app. In fact, many iPad and iPhone users have ditched iTunes for universal collections like Amazon and Google to leave their options open in the future, so even if you don’t have and have never owned an Android device, building a library in Google Play may not be a bad idea.
- Netflix: Before you start screaming “Netflix isn’t free”, it still has the free trial option, which is pretty awesome. People keep talking how amazing Netflix is, and this is your chance to try it out. During this trial period that lasts for a whole month, you can watch free movies on iPad and iPhone. Netflix can be an excellent choice if you are looking for a particular TV show, or several movies you couldn’t find on Popcornflix or OVGuide. There are thousands of titles. You can rate your favorite movies and TV shows. As mentioned, you can use Netflix for a month, free of charge if you are not the member. If you decide to use Netflix after the trial period is over, the price is $8.99 per month.
- Amazon Prime Video :Amazon Prime is another neat subscription option. Similar to Netflix, you can also get one month free trial, at least for a short while. Not only do you get free two-day shopping from Amazon, you get a host of other goodies like Amazon Prime video and Amazon Music, a music streaming service similar to Apple Music. Amazon Prime might not top Netflix in terms of the quality of movies and shows you get, but it’s by far the closest subscription competitor.
Watch free movies on iPad with Desktop Apps
If you are a movie nut who owns lot and lots of great DVD movies that you dream of watching on your iPad, don’t worry because you can!
There are many programs such as DVD to iPad Converters or Blu-ray to iPad Converters that do this, ranging from free to those that cost $20-$40. They vary in output quality, so try a free download or read reviews before buying.
Watch free movies on iPad with YouTube
YouTube Movies offers a wide range of free content – and w’re not talking snippets either. Each movie is full-length and the quality is great considering some of the content.
You can point Mobile Safari to www.YouTube.com/movies or get the built-in YouTube app. Now YouTube is officially back and fully optimised for use with iPad and the iPhone.
The design of the app is definitely an improvement and the new iPad-specific app is much cleaner and fresher. The iPad version offers a fully optimised view, with sidebar menu and video previews in landscape mode. The default YouTube app now presents a superior interface for browsing through videos and picking out the best ones to watch.
If you want to watch a movie, open YouTube and search for it – you’ll be surprised how often you find what you are looking for.You can search using voice or text and subscribing to users and channels couldn’t be simpler.
For those unsure of what they want to watch, Reddit has a great sub called /r/fullmoviesonyoutube. If you sort it by Top and Last Week you’ll find a lot of great movies on YouTube to watch.
Youtube hosts a lot of professionally-made television. And parent company Google is pretty serious about keeping copy-protected material off the site unless the copyright holders have given their blessing.
Watch free movies on iPad with Website
There are many other great websites that support iPad video without the need for an app, but FunnyOrDie.com certainly tops the list.
It doesn’t take an app to provide excellent streaming video service to the iPad, as FunnyOrDie.com proves. The same great comedy found on the website can easily be viewed with the iPad. And because the website supports iPad video, it supports the video out capabilities of the iPad. FunnyOrDie.com also offers HD version of their videos, so if you do stream them to your TV, they’ll look fantastic.