Ever wanted to retrieve iPad data from an iCloud backup but did not know the right way to do it? Here’s a detailed guide that allows you to get back iCloud data via the official service, as well as an unofficial one.
In the early days of the iPad, everything you wanted to do with it required you to hook it up to the computer using iTunes. Whether you were setting up a new iDevice, or backing up data from an older one, iTunes was the lifeblood of keeping your photos, videos, contacts, messages, and everything else, safe and secure. Over the years, with cloud storage becoming the more convenient and secure option to carry data around, Apple has also shifted gears and moved towards iCloud and distanced itself from iTunes.
Accidentally deleting some of the most valuable data is the worst thing that can happen to someone. This is especially true for anyone in the process of minimizing the clutter from their devices. With data being notes and messages, it has become key to everyday operation and needs. However, if you’re someone who is stuck in this bind and is wondering about “how to get your data back,” we have the exact thing you’re looking for.
Retrieving notes data from iCloud
Retrieving notes from an iCloud backup is relatively easy if you have the updated notes application. However, if you’re stuck on an old device without the updated app, then you could face some trouble with recovering your data.
Note: The guide below uses the updated “Notes” application that comes with your iPad. However, if you have not updated the app or are stuck with an older device, then the guide will be useless, and you should refer to the iMobie section of the article.
You can fully recover and edit the notes you have deleted in the previous 30 days on “iCloud.com” or through your devices registered with the same Apple ID. However, remember that you cannot recover the notes you have permanently deleted.
Step by step guide
- Click on the Notes section on iCloud.com and select “Recently Deleted” on the left list.
- If the “Recently Deleted” section is not visible, you do not currently have any notes in the folder to recover anything.
- However, If the list to the left of the notes is not available, then it means you don’t have the updated notes application.
- After getting to the “Recently Deleted” tab, select a deleted note and click on the “Recover” button to get the recovering process started.
- The recovered note moves to the “Notes” section.
- You can also recover the notes by simply dragging the note to a specific folder on the list.
Note: If you delete any shared note shared with someone, then the note moves to the “Shared Notes” folder on iCloud instead of the “Recently Deleted” folder.
If, however, iCloud isn’t your thing and you’re in the market for something else, then iMobie is another excellent alternative.
Retrieving notes data with PhoneRescue
The PhoneRescue program from iMobie is a data recovery program that is utilized for recovering various data such as notes, pictures, and messages erased or lost from Apple iPads, iPads, and different Android devices. The application is accessible to download on PC and Mac and presents a perfect interface and fantastic experience, and the process for downloading and installation can be found underneath.
The downloading and installation process
- Head on to the iMobie webpage found here.
- Download the installer for the OS of your choice.
- Run the installer and install the application.
- Open the application and get started with the recovery and backup process.
Steps to retrieve notes using PhoneRescue
The recovery process for deleted notes is a straightforward process with iMobie, and the full guide is present below.
Note: Connect your iPad or iPad to your PC or Mac before getting started with the recovery process.
- Firstly, select the preferred option for either recovering from an iPad directly or through a backup from iTunes or iCloud.
- Then, let the app connect to either the device or the backups from iTunes or iCloud.
- After PhoneRescue has done analyzing and extracting all the files, it would present you with an option to recover any notes.
- Now, look for the note you need to be restored and select it.
- Now, select the “Recover to Device” button to start the recovery process and wait for it to complete.
- After the restoration is completed, you will be greeted with the message “Data Recovery Completed”, the note should be visible on your device.
Note: Recovering through iCloud requires you to sign in to your iCloud account in the iMobie program and then download the backup before the restoring process begins.
Backup your iPad
iMobie PhoneRescue can’t do a backup directly and can only provide a pseudo backup through exporting the different files to your Mac or PC. Still, it can help you get a backup done through the official iTunes program so that your data is safe and in control. The backup process is simple and can be achieved with as few as three clicks.
- Open iTunes and connect your device.
- Click on the Backup button.
- Select all the files to be backed up and start the backup process.
Note: This will create a compressed backup of all the files selected, which could be used by iMobie to restore all lost data in the future.
PhoneRescue vs. iTunes
iMobie PhoneRescue is a data recovery program used to recover lost data, whereas iTunes is a data management program that helps develop data backups and manage the Apple device. Thus, they cannot be compared directly; however, they make the perfect match to backup/restore and recover data, making the combination an unbeatable pair.
Pros and Cons of using iMobie PhoneRescue:
- Easy to use and comes with a minimal learning curve.
- Can recover lost or deleted data, lost for up to 30 days.
- Can help extract and backup data.
- Has extra functionality for recovering passcodes and repairing iOS.
- It has a one-time fee of $60 for registering the program and obtaining the license key.
- It can take a little time in analyzing data backups of larger sizes.
- It needs iTunes to be installed for everything to work perfectly.
Q: How much storage does iCloud provide, and how do I get more?
When you set up an iCloud account, the default storage capacity is 5GB. You can use the storage space for Backups, Photos, Mail, and the information from your apps that use iCloud. However, If you need more storage, you can buy the capacity at 50GB for $0.99 a month.
Q: For how long can I access the deleted files on iCloud?
You can access a deleted file for around 30 days, and after that, iCloud permanently deletes it. However, if you want any file to be always stored on the drive, you can move the file from the “Recently Deleted” folder to the primary storage folder.
Q: Is iMobie PhoneRescue safe to use?
Yes, the analyzing process has read-only procedures and cannot affect your device’s existing data. If you use the recovery tool, the program will ask for all the permissions, and it is up to you to grant any of them. This ensures that your device will remain secure throughout the process.
Q: Is iMobie PhoneRescue free?
iMobile PhoneRescue comes as a free trial version, which can be upgraded to the full version for 60 dollars. The trial is free to download and allows you to analyze all the files which can be recovered. However, saving, exporting, or recovering the files requires the full version, which can be activated by purchasing the license key.
Recovering data from iCloud is a straightforward process, and through the help of iTunes, backups have been as easy as they can be. However, if you’re looking for some third party software, then the iMobie program is easy to use but may run into some issues with data lost for more than 30 days and never 100% guarantees that you’ll be able to retrieve all of the lost data files. Regardless of everything, iMobie PhoneRescue has developed an excellent piece of software that could be a saving grace when you end up accidentally delete some special notes or data of an iPad.
That said, data backups are a great way to remain secure, and with the help of iTunes, you could do just that and save sixty bucks in the process. However, if you have already lost some data and need something that can recover them, iMobie is an excellent choice.